It's the Little Things

I had the wonderful opportunity to take pictures of Grandpa John's house. Ron needed help posting it on the internet to sell, and so we went and took pictures. I started taking the normal pictures. One or two of every room, highlighting the best points. It wasn't until the end that I realized an opportunity to document this very special home in pictures. I then began taking pictures of the "little" things that made Grandpa John's house, his.




I particularly love the clothes pins on the mail box.




The door mat. It received a lot of good use. It welcomed us before we even stepped inside.



We walked around outside and took pictures, then we went inside. We instantly missed Grandpa. Especially after seeing the fireplace. But the thing that made me cry, was that, from the moment we walked in, Jaxen said, "Papa". Over and over. We both teared up, and it took a minute for us to tell Jaxen that "Papa" wasn't here. It was so sweet and I'm so so glad that Jaxen had the opportunity to meet his namesake. He knew him, he loved him, he misses him.



I love that the appliances are true to the age of the house, at least they're close to the age of the house.



Love the old mirror and the tile work around the bathtub.




The thermostat, the phone jack with the little bell symbol, the handles. The little things.



The door bell, the floor phone jack, the baseboards, classic.



Look at that wallpaper!





Sorry, Jaron, I am in LOVE with this old stove! I remember using one, seeing one somewhere else in my life. It is in such good condition.



Sometimes, it's when we've grown a little that we realize the importance of the "little" things. You see, my grandpa's died 20 years ago, and 15 years ago. I hadn't found my hobby, nor did I have a camera at the time to memorialize them in this way. I miss them terribly, still. I cry for them still. I will not walk into a ballpark ever again without thinking of my Grandpa Joe. It was a little thing that he came to every game for my brothers and I, but it was also a big thing. My great-grandma died 20 years ago, but her home wasn't sold until years later. I desperately wish I had pictures of her home. It was awesome, older than Grandpa John's, antique, I'd say. It has since been torn down, and I'll never get the pictures I wish I'd had. I have the memories, but not the pictures. So, I've started a new legacy for Jaxen. He will have the memories, and the pictures.

3 comments:

  1. I absolutely adore those scrapbooked pictures! You did such a good job Heidi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. There are not words for how much I miss Grandpa... I can't stand that I can't be there to see his house right now... I realized I still have his number in my phone the other day and it broke my heart. Thanks so much for making sure that we all have these pictures. I just wish the rocking chairs were still in the back patio. When we were little we used to go to the backyard for family parties and they would sit in those rockers and watch us... I miss them so much. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heidi, you always have a way of making me cry at your blog posts, I guess that is a sign of good photography! :) Thanks so much for sharing, I really do appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete

Give it to me straight!