80 Years!!


Happy Birthday to my Granny JoAnny! It wasn't just any birthday, it was number 80!



We went to lunch with her a few days before her birthday.


Jaxen enjoyed helping her open her gift. We tried giving her the whole season of "The Little House on the Prairie"- her favorite show. She took it home and one of the 60 DVD's didn't work. It was so disappointing. Sorry Grandma.


And cupcakes...we'll take ANY reason to feast on those!

On her actual birthday, a bunch of family gathered at a restaurant to celebrate. We, the Rich family, believe that celebrating and eating go hand in hand.


Beautiful Posterity

Four Generations

I love Granny JoAnny's face in this picture. Although she's out of focus, if you look closely, she's got this cute, innocent, happy smile on her face.


The birthday girl in her princess hat.

A few tidbits about my Granny JoAnny:

~ I admire her. Her mother died, on her birthday, when she was 6 years old. I'm so proud of her for persevering through life and turning out so well.

~ One of my favorite memories of time with Granny JoAnny is when I was about 12. I was at her house during the Summer and we were playing our families' favorite game, Farkle. We were only 3 or 4 rolls into the game, it generally takes about 20. She left the room, I rolled my turn and won the game! To win the game you have to roll 6 dice at once and they all come up with the same number. I totally did it! I ran and got her. She couldn't believe her eyes. I felt so special that I'd just done the nearly impossible. It's been a fun memory to share with Grandma - even if she doesn't remember it!

~ She and Grandpa made it a point to come to all our softball/baseball games.

~ Baking/cooking was always going on at her house. I LOVED helping her. And of course, as a child, my favorite thing to make was chocolate chip cookies. I was sure to request no nuts. It still confuses me why nuts are added to such a beautiful, perfect cookie?! The way I remember it, she was always making cookies for Derek and he liked them with nuts. In an effort to make us all happy, we often made one batch into two batches.

~ I admire her. Grandpa died about 15 years ago, and the day after his funeral, her daughter suddenly died. What a hard time that was for all of us! But especially for the wife and mother of the deceased. I'm so proud of her for persevering through life and turning out so well.

~ I've learned from my Granny JoAnny that: I Can Do Hard Things.

Love you, Grandma! Happy Birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Give it to me straight!