A Bittersweet Christmas

To kick start our Christmas vacation, we took a trip to the Maaco Las Vegas Bowl. I love to watch college football. I couldn't be an announcer for it, I don't know all the in's and out's, but I love to watch college football. We went with Jaron's parents, left on Monday, the 21st, and came home on Wednesday, the 23rd. It was a nice break. Jaxen stayed home and played with his cousins. It was a good thing, too because it was FREEZING at the game. I swear that it was colder in Vegas than in Utah. BYU won, and it was awesome to be there. I must say, though, Sam Boyd Stadium is VERY small, and I didn't really feel like I was at a bowl game. Gotta love the respect, or lack there of, that college football has for the Mountain West Conference! I don't think I'll ever forget how cold it really was. We stopped by the M&M store on our way to the game.





We were in a hurry and that's why this picture of Jaron isn't as great as it could be.

I titled this post "A Bittersweet Christmas" because on the way home from the bowl game, Jaron's aunt Janice called and gave Ron the news that his dad had passed away. He had been in the hospital since the Saturday before, but while we were in Las Vegas, we had gotten only good reports. Had we heard anything bad, we would have insisted on heading home. But, as it stood, we headed home later than we anticipated and he passed away. Despite the fact that he finally got his Christmas Wish, to be with his wife again, we were still shocked and sad. We drove for about half an hour and then started talking again, very gingerly, and respectfully. Nancy was driving and so Ron asked Jaron to call his siblings and give them the news. It was hard to sit there and listen to each person's reaction, and to Jaron repeat it, again and again.



What a sweet man. This is one of my favorite pictures. Grandpa and two of the many named after him. Jaxen and Jaron's cousin's baby. This was taken October 28, 2009.



This is my favorite picture. Grandpa getting out of his chair, down on the floor with Jaxen. Oh, love that man!



Above: Picture of a picture, good job Jes! Thanks for helping me out.



Above: Another picture of a picture by Jes.


The funeral was held on Tuesday, December 29, 2009. It was a cold, wintry, snowy day. But it did not dampen our memory of him. Having had both my grandpa's pass away by the time I was 13, he kind of took that role for me. But more importantly, he sealed Jaron & I for time and all eternity. And I am so proud that Jaxen was able to meet one of the Great Grandpa's he's named after. There is nothing more motivating than knowing your heritage. And what a great one he left. Here's some pictures of his special day.



Above: All of his children, taken by Jes.











Why Jes moved to Arizona! Doesn't she look cold, but cute?











All the grandchildren gathered round the casket and sang, "I Am A Child of God."















I'm sure, if Grandpa had been at the luncheon, this is where he would have been; in the hall with the kids, watching and possibly playing "Duck, Duck, Goose". Who knows, maybe he was there!

2 comments:

  1. I have been meaning to post about this on my blog as well, and will hopefully soon! Thanks so much! I love your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've got me in tears with that last statement about him being in the hall with the kids- you're so very, very right!

    ReplyDelete

Give it to me straight!